Thursday, November 20, 2008

Magnetic Dominoe Card


Dominoes are rather thick when it comes to attaching them to cards and sending off in the mail. You would definitely have to put the card into a padded envelope to get it to it's destination. I found some Alpha Tiles by Lara’s Crafts at Michaels. They are about the same size as dominoes, but considerable thinner. These tiles have the alphabet stamped on them (one letter per tile) and they are made of thin wood with a round magnet inserted in the center of the wood on the back side.
Since I’ve never tried using dominoes on a project before, I had to experiment quite a bit. These wood tiles had to be sanded some to take off some of the letter, then painted with white acrylic paint. After it dried it had to be sanded and painted a few more times to hide the painted on letter.
Next I stamped my images with Versamark ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder. I let it cool down and sponged Stampin Up classic Elegant Eggplant ink over the top. I let it dry a little (it was still able to be rubbed off) and then I put the Versamark ink pad over the whole thing and sprinkled clear embossing powder over it all and heat set it. This process did make my Versamark pad tinted and a little dirty, but I used a papertowel to clean off most of the ink that was left on it. After it cooled, I repeated this process two more times and it had a shiny finish when I was done. I edged the tile with a gold paint pen and let it dry.
The background was made with Adirondak alcohol inks. Then I used Stampin Up’s Harlequin background stamp with Cotton White Staz-On ink on a transparency and attached these two with black brads with a gold dot on top. The flowers are Essentials 4 –Angelique multi with black brads in the middle. Gold dots on the EE cardstock were added at the end.
I attached the magnetic “domino” with two slightly sticky dots so the recipient could take it off the card and use it on the refrigerator!

No comments: